Fun Activities For Fathers Day
With Father’s day coming up June 18th, it is crunch time to start thinking of ways to recognize Dad. There are so many gifts one can buy for their dad but the best way to celebrate and show you appreciate yours is by spending quality time together. To take the stress out of choosing what to do, the Ellen Clark Team has compiled a list of fun activities for you, the family, and dad to all do together.
- Fishing: Whether your dad already has his own spot or you decide to venture out and find a new one, fishing is a great way to bond. The James River has plenty of great fishing locations. Check out Flatwater Park near the Huguenot Bridge, Bell Isle, Robious Landing, or Ancarrows Landing. The Upper and Lower James house brim, a variety of bass, and catfish.
- Go-Karting: Go-Karts have fun written all over them for the dad that craves adrenaline. Of course, since it’s Father’s Day, you should let your dad win. Thunderbolt Indoor Karts offers electric karts and offers a Sunday Funday special pricing. Windy Hill Sports Complex and G-Force Karts offer outdoor karting and are also located in the Central Virginia area.
- Movies: Tried and true, seeing a movie together is always a great idea. All the summer hits are out. Releases for this weekend include Cars 3, Rough Night, and 47 Meters Down. If you want to try something to enhance the experience for Dad, Cinebistro is always a great option and gift cards are available. Not only can he see the new releases in luxurious seating, but all weekend there will be a special Vintage Steak House Speical offered in honor of the holiday. Please note Cinebistro Stony Point is for ages 21+.
- Golf/Mini-Golf: The US Open is this Sunday at 3 pm. Let dad watch in peace, snacks should be included. If your dad is a golfer himself, encourage him to hit the course. If you aren’t the golf fan he is but want to do something as a family, we suggest playing mini golf together or going to a golf range. There are several courses in the Central Virginia area including the Rockwood Golf Park, Windy Hill, Oasis Sports Park, Patterson Golf Park, and others. If you want him to try something really unique check out GlowGolf in Glen Allen which is indoor glow in the dark golf. A discounted rate is available for groups of 5 or more.
- Outdoor Water Adventures: Go boating, tubing, kayaking, or try stand up paddle boarding together. There are so many options available locally for a nice day on the James River or other local lakes. If you don’t have your own equipment rentals are available (James River Outdoor Adventures and Pocahontas State Park) and companies like Black Dog Paddle and Riverside Outfitters even offer instructed classes.
- Escape Room: This family-friendly adventure game is hosting dad for free this Sunday! Choose your room then solve the puzzles and clues to complete the tasks to ESCAPE! Reservations are still being accepted for Sunday and the cost is $25 per person.
- Richmond Bacon Festival: This is the 5th year the event is being hosted. Everything from bacon wrapped chocolate to alligator will be available. In addition, Dance Candy will be playing from 1 to 3 pm. Over 40 restaurants are participating so there is something for everyone (including vegans!). The festival is one block up from its typical 17th Street Market Location and is hosted from 12-5 PM on Sunday, June 18th.
- Beer Tasting: Take dad to any of the wonderful local craft breweries that have emerged over the last few years. Many offer taster samplers and this weekend some are having events geared towards fathers day. Hardywood will be hosting it’s “Father’s Day Keg-n-Oyster Fest” with Rappahannock River Oysters LLC. There will be oysters, crab cakes, and other food vendors Sunday the 18th from 12-6 PM. For the gluten free dad, check out a cidery or vineyard. Blue Bee and Busky are both located in Scott’s Addition.
- BBQ and Bluegrass Fest: This Saturday the 17th, the Kickers are holding their annual event which starts at 5:30 PM. There will be live bluegrass music (Cary Street Ramblers), BBQ provided by the Cultured Swine, and more. Tickets include your drinks as well as admission to the game (vs Tampa Bay Rowdies) at 7 PM. The cost of a ticket is $22.
- Dads Chores: There is nothing better than relaxing. Maybe take on his weekend tasks/chores for the day. Is there yard work he typically does? Clean the gutters. Mow the lawn. Finish that project around the house that needs to be done. A day of rest can be the best in the world.
Whatever it is you choose to do to celebrate dad, we hope you have fun and enjoy making memories with yours. Happy Father’s Day from the Ellen Clark Team!